Apply for a Small Gift
This page describes the application process and required materials for the Foundation Trust Small Gift Program. If you are interested in a larger Partnership Grant, please click here.
The intent of the Letter of Inquiry (LOI) is to introduce us to your programming or services and to explain how a Small Gift from the Foundation Trust will meaningfully impact your ability to perform--either to support current programming or carry out a special project of importance to this work. The LOI is the only competitive portion of the Foundation Trust funding application process.
Your request will be considered based on a combination of factors:
- Degree of alignment with FT priority funding areas
- Expectation of demonstrable benefit to your organization.
Please review these instructions carefully and see additional guidance in the FAQ. Please direct any other questions to the attention of the Foundation Trust Administrator (Administrator@FoundationTrust.org).
Please prepare a maximum 3-page Letter of Inquiry, single-spaced, with margins 1-inch or larger, addressing items 1-9 below. Small Gift LOIs are considered on a rolling basis and should be submitted electronically on official organizational letterhead to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Required Information for Letters of Inquiry
BASIC ORGANIZATION INFORMATION:
- Ensure that the LOI includes
- your organization’s name
- complete contact information (name, title, postal and email addresses, telephone and fax numbers) for either the person submitting the LOI or a responsible party within your organization
2. Include a one-paragraph description of your organization’s history, mission and primary activities.
AWARD REQUEST AND PROGRAM PROPOSAL:
3. Provide a brief statement of why you are applying for support from the Foundation Trust at this time.
4. Specify the desired amount and duration of requested support.
5. Specify the kind of support you are seeking, i.e.:
- unrestricted support of general organizational operations and infrastructure (note: only eligible under the Foundation Trust Small Gift program);
- event support, i.e., funding or speaker provision;
- support for expansion of program and services;
- support to conduct a pilot project;
- seed funding for a new initiative;
- program evaluation funding;
- training and/or resource development support; or
- other specified purpose of funding.
Please note that the Foundation Trust does not fund or subsidize salaried positions for existing, expanding, or new agency/program/project personnel.
6. Describe how this work aligns with one or more of the Foundation Trust’s four priority funding tracks.
7. Justify how an award of this size and duration will be sufficient – alone or in combination with other funding you have received or are in the process of soliciting — to make a demonstrable impact to your organization.
Nonprofit Status and Budget INFORMATION:
8. A copy of your organization’s (or fiscal sponsor’s) IRS tax-exempt letter and documentation of 501(c)(3) status. For municipal programs, submit proof of city affiliation.
9. Budget Information:
- For general support (routine program operations/infrastructure or unrestricted contributions – eligible only under the Foundation Trust Small Gifts Program), provide an annual organizational budget for the most recently complete fiscal year. Budgets should delineate projected income and expenses.
- For project or event support provide both
- an annual organizational budget for the most recently completed fiscal year and
- a detailed project-specific budget for the duration of the proposed project period.
Contact for LOI Submissions
Letters of Inquiry should be submitted electronically on official organizational letterhead to Administrator@FoundationTrust.org